Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Accelerated Reader Fan

"You're crazy," my roommate said, during an inevitable all-nighter our freshman year. Molly had just finished a term paper and needed to revise it. She had spent hours writing and was in no mood to read any further. "I'll do it!" I said as I sprung off our not-so-soft futon. Ever since freshman year, random papers and homework assignments appear on my desk with a note asking me to read it. However, I developed a love for reading and writing at a much younger age.

In grade school, I was the girl who thought the Accelarated Reader program was "the thing." I would do anything to see my picture advance to the next point level as I scored more points. Yes, I'll admit - I competed with one other girl in my class. I still have that picture today. I will never forget one of my most vivid grade school memories - when I read a book to the principal - Betty Spaghetti, to be exact. Miss Garret, my principal, gave me a blue ribbon that said, "I read to the principal today."

In middle school, my next big thing was the spelling bee. It was something that got my blood pumping and my heart beating. I laugh now, but I would make myself physically ill since I got so worked up. Preliminaries would come around. I would make the final cut to compete at regionals, which meant I got a big book full of words to...study! And I did. I never really won a major award at a spelling bee, but the memories are very present today.

High school made me realize my true passion for writing. I enjoyed my advanced composition classes - they were my favorite classes in high school. The front desk was my seat, as I eagerly waited to receive my grade for the previous papers I had written. For some reason, my communication skills are at best when I write. Small details are like spices in a recipe - they add so much substance that makes a piece enjoyable to read.

As a junior at the university of my dreams, I am able to fully realize my potential as not only a writer, but also a communicator. I would like to say I'm not as big of a "writing nerd" as in the past, but some of my friends would beg to differ. But hey, I have also discovered another passion of mine - dancing! This wouldn't be related to editing...or would it?

No comments:

Post a Comment