Wednesday, April 1, 2009

My Discovery of the AP Exchange!

Let me just say that as a college student, I sometimes lack on listening to the news. Back home, I always watch the 6 o'clock news each night. However, here at school, it's just a different story...as a student, you are "busy." Each semester, I make it a goal to catch up on the world around me, but sometimes it just doesn't happen. I was happy to discover the AP exchange web site in lab this week. It gives a quick and easy way to browse not only breaking news, but also developing stories. It is convenient, and for people who only want "selected" news, they can simply choose which category they would like. This is not to say other news web sites do not offer this. The AP exchange, however, just lists the stories without distractions.

My favorite story was about the South Carolina widow who had been dead for 18 months and nobody even noticed. While this is very sad, I enjoyed the conversation I had with my news team about this bizarre story. The first questions most of us had was, "Oh, so the dog died, too?" Come to find out, the dog had actually died of thirst. Authorities said there was enough dog food in supply. Readers tend to enjoy these types of stories, because they offer a break from the typical hard news each day. It leaves the actually story to the imagination, which is what many people enjoy, just as my news team did.

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was also surprised to have JUST NOW learned about the AP news wire online. For the past few years as a journalism student, I'm wondering how and why I never knew about this! It's definitely a great source of information, especially for breaking news and news that you don't often see in the mainstream media. More than anything, I think that having access to the huge selection of photos and being able to put names and faces with what's happening around the world is really amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry about that first comment. I accidentally left out a few words and had to correct it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the AP news wire online is an excellent resource also. Like you and Katie said, I did not know about this before now. I think it's because you need a login name and password that it's not as commonly used by students as you would think. I also enjoyed the story about the widow, and our group's choice to include it in the "news of the day" even though it was not your typical news story. Poor dog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always wondered how exactly the wire was accessed by various news sources. It was really cool to see how the stories were posted and corrected as the day went on. I wish we learned more about it in our 400 classes or got a glimpse of it somewhere else. A lot of news sources pick and choose their stories from there, leaving us with a small portion of the total number available, so it's good to know we can go somewhere to get it all (or at least most of it).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish that I had accessed the wire earlier in college. It still isn't the full wire, but there is more than enough text and pictures to keep me occupied. Though I will never let the AP be my only news source.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I became kind of obsessed with the AP wire after it was introduced to us in class. I really hope that the school doesn't mind if I use their password and login after I graduate...

    ReplyDelete